Monday, April 18, 2011

hanna

Last weekend we went to see Hanna, and although I'm normally lukewarm on action movies, I really liked it. Not one of those profound movies that's going to change your life, but it was a very satisfying watching experience [disclaimer for the violence-averse: there is some]. I tend to watch movies for the esthetic elements, and they were all done just right in this one*. Probably my favorite element of it was the locations, including this abandoned amusement park in Berlin, which leads me to this amusingly surreal tidbit from Wikipedia:
Norbert Witte* failed in his attempt to run a "Lunapark" in Lima. On 19 May 2004 he was sentenced to seven years in jail for attempting to smuggle 180 kg of cocaine with a value of £14 million from Peru to Germany in the masts of the "flying carpet" ride.
The photo, also from the Wikipedia article, is of part of a roller coaster, and reminds me of this fellow gaping-mouthed monster. Seen together, they make me want to embark on a gaping-mouthed-monster themed world tour.


*From context clues, I'm guessing Norbert Witte is the former owner/operator of Spreepark. Wikipedia is rather Sphinx-like on his identity, introducing him out of the blue as moving to Peru in 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment